Browsing Items (22 total)

This card shows three views of Clifton: the town’s hotel; a scene along Bull Run; and a view down Main Street. By the early 20th century the town of Clifton had practically reached its current size. In 1902, Clifton was incorporated by act of the…

Herndon's Methodist Church began with meetings in Herndon residents’ homes in 1857. This community of worshipers became a part of the Methodist Episcopal Church North in 1869. The North Methodist church met in the building shown on this postcard.…

The Pohick Church has its roots in early communities of Anglican’s dating back to the end of the 17th century. Construction began on this specific church in 1769 and construction was completed in 1774. George Washington and George Mason both helped…

Dedicated by President John F. Kennedy on November 17, 1962, Dulles International Airport has acted as an international gateway to Washington D.C. The engineering firm of Ammann and Whitney of New York designed this distinctive structure. Architect…

Located on Maple Avenue in Vienna Virginia, the Vienna Inn has provided Fairfax residents with chilidogs and beer since it opened in 1960. The building was originally established as an ice cream parlor in 1925. While so much of the County has…

For much of the history of the County, Colvin Run Village was the largest community on the Leesburg Pike between Falls Church and Leesburg. The small community grew from the 1890s through the first decade of the 20th Century, at which point paved…

Great Falls became a National Park by act of Congress in 1930. When it became a park, the area still had an amusement park, a rail line connecting the park to D.C., and a power plant on the grounds. The amusement park went out of business in 1956.…

Established on April 20, 1964 the community of Reston was the first post war planed community. The community gets its name from the initials of its creator and planer, Robert E. Simon. Simon purchased the 7,300 acres of land the community was built…

The Occoquan Bridge connects Fairfax County to the city of Occoquan in Prince William County. Established in 1804 by Nathaniel Ellicott, the Town of Occoquan retains much of its historic character. In 1972, Hurricane Agnes destroyed a considerable…